Summer is now here, things are opening up and we are all finding ourselves busier than ever. Please remember our friends in Haiti as you go about your life.
Our schools continue with testing planned mid July. Students must pass these tests to continue on to the next grade. It’s been a difficult year across the island nation with government unrest, covid, poor economy, and gang activity, but our staff and students persevere under these adverse conditions. Thank you always for your continued support for the children in our schools.
- Haiti was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492 on his way to discover America.
- Haiti is the most mountainous island in the Caribbean.
- Haiti was the first country in the Western Hemisphere to abolish slavery.
- Before that time, Haiti once sold slaves to other countries bringing, them great wealth in that era.
- Voodoo–a practice of spirit veneration and manipulation–is an officially recognized religion in Haiti. I have heard it said that Haiti is 20% Catholic, 20% Protestant, and 100% Voodoo.
- Cock fighting is an official sport in Haiti. When walking the trails high in the mountains of Haiti we have come upon these cock fights. Gathered around the fighting cockerels are a crowd of people (mostly men) often drinking and gambling.
- Haiti has the world’s largest solar powered hospital.
- In Haiti only one partner needs to be present for a divorce proceedings to take place.
- Tourism is one of the largest industries in Haiti.
- Haiti’s was dubbed the ‘Pearl of the Antilles’ because of its natural beauty.
- Soccer is Haiti’s national sport.
- According to theFACTfile, Haiti’s literacy rate as of 2020 is 60.7%, which is up from past years.
- One out of 50 people in Haiti is infected with HIV/AIDS.
- Haiti’s port cities are known for illegal drug business, serving as a key routing point in the cocaine trade. Human trafficking, especially of children, is also prevalent.
- 50% of the nation’s wealth is owned by approximately 1% of Haitians.
- More than 10% of children in Haiti die before reaching the age of five.
- Christopher Columbus is buried in Haiti in the Cathedral of Santa Maria.
There is SO much more to know and see and love and grieve and pray over in Haiti. Will you join me in keeping these precious people on your hearts?
“May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us, that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations.” Ps. 67 1-2
We are grateful for each of you! Thank you.